Wednesday 6 May 2009

Re-emergence from 'Purdah'

My fellow Dhamma server, Yachi, a student from the course, Gargy (at only 16 a very young lady to sit for 10 hours a day meditating) and a happy-looking me on day 11- the day of freedom from the course.



A little tea shop on the trail up to Triand at nearly 3000 metres.
Many people go by horse but, being a tight wad and rather unhinged, I decided to walk. A tough walk of 4 hours. I didn't know about the special breathing technique you can use to get up these steep paths but will be using it when I go trekking with dad.






Arrival at Triand and a welcome tea-shop where Suresh the owner served me up some lovely masala chai.
The little tent I rented for the night. Didn't get much sleep, not because of the cold as I had a good sleeping bag, but because I had a terrible headache all night. I did think I might die at one point and contemplated going down the mountain at 3 in the morning. I wasn't able to actually see the path so had to stay and await death or dawn. Luckily dawn came first and I set off at top speed. Could have been altitude sickness or heat stroke- I'll never know.





The view from Triand. This is actually a small peak compared to the high Himalaya.






This family of dogs came down the mountain with me- I was on my own but they kept watch over me and tripped me over several times until half way down.







I met a group of shepherds and their enormous flock. This man was carrying about 15 kids around his body!


















View down the valley to Daramkot and Daramsala.








No comments: