Saturday 9 June 2012

Refllections in a mountain pool

Reflections in a mountain stream


No mirror’ experiment. Day 1. First hour.
So lying in the bath, I had a great idea to live without looking in the mirror. For ever? For a month?
Cool idea. Really chuffed with myself. Maybe I’ll write a diary? An article for the newspaper? Chick magazine?
So I start going through- who should I tell? Close friends? See what they think? See how I feel going out the door into the public? No idea if I’ve got food on my face or what my hair looks like? Yeah, no bother. I can do that.
Then my mind starts making excuses, “I won’t be able to see to put my contacts in.” “I might have a VPL.” These are quite advanced excuses. I even begin to believe them myself. Then, I’m just mincing about, putting moisturiser on, getting dressed. Feeling my way,
“This is fine. Don’t need to look in the mirror.”
And then I cheat. I actually cheat MYSELF: I look in the mirror when it’s a bit misty and then call myself a cheat and then stop looking. Really.
5 minutes later, I catch myself pretending to look at some framed photos: no doubt so that I can ‘accidentally’ see my reflection in the glass. You’ve got to be kidding, sister!
Am I really that addicted to checking myself in the mirror?!

No comments: