Wednesday 8 January 2014

Why I love Swaziland (1)





Today I taught "chair yoga" to a group of 20 or so Swazi ladies, pre-school teachers on a training workshop here at Vosumnotfo.
 "What work did you do in the house when you got up this morning?" I ask naively.
 "No no sissy. First we prayed." "Good" I respectfully answer.
 "Then did you do some work in the house?"
 " No No sissy. Then we exercised our bodies!" they declare, showing me some perfectly formed asanas!
 "Right well that sounds like yoga! I bravely announce, frantically wondering what on earth I have to teach them.
I finally get their attention by focusing in on their aches and pains- yes pain is universal- and we start up with a little work on the shoulders. They're really starting to get into it, some more convinced than others, but there is a generally high level of enthusiasm and effort.
Then calmly from the right side of the room, a student is pointing at her neighbour and telling me that "She has received a miracle! She has told me she has received a miracle."
Well, what could I say?! 

"Congratulations Margaret!"
I mean "Happy Miracle Day".

My work here is done!

No comments: