Wednesday 1 October 2008

Let me take you by the hand and lead you through the streets of... Mysore

This is the best Thali in town (so far) at Om Shanti restaurant, central Mysore. 85 rupees (about a quid) for all you can eat rice, roti, various daals, veggie sauces, tomato soup (?) and a little ice cream.
One of Diana and my favourite breakfast places- Santosha- where you can get the best porridge in the known universe and smoothies and toast and stuff. Me feeling really happy with my masala dosa which is sadly a banned substance these days after being identified as the main culprit in my 'digestive' problems.PLease note the 'nut case' and the 'spanish fly' (yum)on the menu at my local restaurant the Green Leaf.and my favourite of all time...'Fade to Brown' (I haven't watched TV, seen a film, had an alcoholic beverage or spoken to many people over the past month so you'll forgive me my infantile humour).Drum stick anyone? Our local chicken emporium- and some 'tach' action for all you facial hair fetishists!
'Cow making a call?!' (a Diana quote)

One of the 'circles' in central Mysore. This one is near the Maharajah's palace.

A little shrine at the roadside in my neighbourhood- Gokulum- I once heard described as the 'Beverley Hills' of Mysore. Who said I was posh?!
One of the mansions in the area:
Some very interesting architecture- people with the readies seem to design their own houses in this area- no two look the same, some are very grand and, dare I say it, one or two are even Gaudiesque. Many houses have these patterns drawn on the pavement outside fresh everyday. Also I love the way some people cheat by having them painted in real paint. These nice looking chaps are very common on the front of houses too. They're used to ward off evil spirits.
A legacy from the time of the Britishers- don't say we have no culture! More British left-overs- the local scout hut no less. We went to a fund-raising event here- possibly the biggest load of tat I've ever seen under one roof but all in a good cause.
The local sooth-sayer- there are quite a few in the area.
Some of the parks are nice around here. Ladies walk round and round them early in the morning to walk off the ghee.
I love Indian English!

Some more funny signs for you:

This has got to be my favourite:
A masterpiece!
All the kids are drinking it!
An ode to ice-cream- they're speaking my language!
Creepy!
Even more creepy! And simply WRONG!
The following are pictures taken in my Aryuvedic treatment centre where I have spent hours of fun over the past two weeks.
The altar to Ganesh and shrine to Krishna in the reception area. They change the flowers and offerings every day and they are really pretty.

My masseurs- they did a stellar job on my back which is completely fine for the time being. Also
my hair, skin and 'digestion' have vastly improved.
The steambox, powered by a pressure cooker, in which you cook after being lathered with oil and pummeled with herb boluses for an hour.

1 comment:

polyn said...

The steam box certainly isn't for the faint-hearted!

Love the ads - bring them on!!!