Thursday 30 July 2009

Teaching at Tempurung seaside lodge- Sabah, Malaysian Borneo

Here's me with some of the wonderful staff at Tempurung Seaside Lodge where I've spent the past two weeks or so. It's definitely the most exotic location I've ever taught in. Our classroom was overlooking the sea and sometimes the wind was so strong it blew all our paper around. I always had a delightful sheen of sweat on my brow but thankfully the students were hot too! On our last lesson we swam in the sea together fully clothed. The kids favourite game seemed to involve pretending they were drowning and getting rescued by me- "Teacher, teacher. HELP US!" It was a health and safety nightmare! Actually I really enjoyed it and we had some tears yesterday when we said goodbye.

As you can see, they look like real horrors. The cheetah team and the lion team. Favourite games- What's the time Mister Wolf? and singing Head , shoulders, knees and toes.
















One Saturday, I went to local towns, Beaufort and Kuala Penyu (Turtle Bay) and looked around the markets.

People paint their homes amazing, bright colours.



















Snake fruit.









Bamboo shoots.










Sunset at Tempurung.


















These jellyfish are pretty common on the beach.




















My classroom/ dining room.


























2 comments:

Rob said...

Hi Clare

Rob here - I'm on holiday too, at last. C and P are still in Cyprus; I've come to Transylvania on my way home. (Always wanted to visit Dracula's castle!)

People painting houses in bright colours. That's what I wanted to comment on. I have often wondered why more people don't do that - especially in drab places. I suppose you'd only do it if everybody else did.

Also, big changes afoot: I'm giving up my job, to start a full-time MA in Town Planning in October. We'll be poor for a while, so I'll get even fewer holidays.

Stay well,

Rob

Anonymous said...

Hey Rob!
Did you pick up any tips on blood sucking?! I remember you mentioning your interest in all things dracula- glad you made it there.
I would love to have a brightly painted house and discussed it with Pauline and her hubby. Apparently you can't do it in Barnet because the boring council has restrictions on colours! Will this issue be covered in your MA? If so, please do your dissertation on it, become a big wig in this area and SORT IT!
I tihnk it's brill that you're taking the plunge. I don't think lack of money matters much if you're doing something you like. Congrats!
xx