Saturday 21 March 2009

Mumbai February 2009

I had an interesting time in Mumbai walking around and taking taxis, being accosted by eunuchs and chatted up by Bollywood wannabes. One particular day stands out: I hired a driver who took me round some of the sights of the city which I probably wouldn't have known about or found on foot. Paul (my guide and excellent driver) was very professional and knowledgeable and I'd highly recommend him for an air conditioned tour of this fascinating city (You can find him and his mate GA Kundar hanging out in the morning near the Gateway to India- Gateway Travels mobile 9821005838/ 9867472989).
Some Mumbai signs:

















Don't forget your stetson if they do a bad job!











The Gateway of India.








The Taj Hotel where I snuck in for a beer (which was all I could afford on the weak pound).







Some Mumbai residences in an old Goan quarter. It looks pretty peaceful down this back alley but up the road is one of the busiest and noisiest streets I've ever had the misfortune of being lost on.







A lovely example of Catholicism with Indian characteristics at Saint Theresa's church.















Lots of art deco buildings along the Marine Drive where I had a really nice walk in spite of the smog.

One of my favourite places in Mumbai- Mahalaxhmi Dhobi Ghat, a small village next to the railway tracks where the laundry from much of Mumbai is washed, dried and ironed in huge quantities every day.
















No comments: